Sunday, January 15, 2012

Farrah Shelby Tait

Its a Girl! We are SO excited to welcome Farrah Shelby Tait into our little family. She was born Wednesday night (Jan. 11) at 8:21 pm. She was 7 lbs 2 oz and 19 1/4 in. long. She was 3 weeks early but completely healthy. So here is how things went (I know for a lot of you- this may be pretty boring- but Im mostly recording this for me while it is fresh in my mind- otherwise Ill forget) Wed. morning I woke up just feeling kind of off. I just didn't feel well, so I mostly just laid around and took it easy. Jordan ran some errands for me- cause I wasn't feeling up to it. I had invited the new tenants down stairs to come up for dinner, so I had pasta sauce slow cooking in the crock pot to make lasagna. After I got that cooking- I put the kids down for naps/quiet time and laid down on the couch. I was in the middle of watching greys anatomy when I started getting sharp pains in my stomach and an achy feeling in my lower back. I was able to ignore it for a little while- but the sharp pains started to get bad enough that it brought me to tears. It felt nothing like contractions- so I wasn't sure what was happening. I called Jordan (he was on campus studying) and he insisted on coming home- but I told him I was probably fine and to just wait a little longer. I then called Joe ( my dr. and brother-in-law) and he said that he wanted me to go into the hospital and have them monitor me for a little while and go from there. So I called Jordan back and told him to come get me. I jumped in the shower and then the contractions started- but I still wasn't convinced I was in labor. When I got out of the shower Jordan was home, and Autumn happened to show up- so she helped me get ready to leave for the hospital. Jordan called Tanner (my brother-in-law) and he came over to be with Adelyn and Adric. Jordan and I headed up to the hospital- we were about half way there when Jordan realized he forgot his phone so we turned around to come back and get it- on the way back Jordan asked me if we should just stay home because my contractions had slowed down. I was very close to saying yes...but then I decided that it wouldn't hurt just to have my contractions monitored for a little while. So we went. As soon as we got to the hospital (around 3:30 pm)- the contractions started strong again. They put me in one of their exam rooms and hooked me up to the monitors. I was having very consistant contractions every 2 minutes and they were only getting stronger. Around 4:30ish the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 3- Joe showed up around 5 and checked me again and I was dilated to a 4 with the baby very low. So at that point he officially admitted me. They moved me into a MUCH more comfortable room- and everything started. They put my IV in and Lane (my favorite CRNA) came in (on his day OFF!) to give me an epidural- I was in a good amount of pain. The epidural only took to my left side at first, but with some adjusting it seemed to move over to my right as well- but it was just a slight tingle. For about an hour it seemed to take the edge off with the contractions...but then the slight tingle seemed to fade...and suddenly my contractions became EXTREMELY painful...and my epidural was no longer providing me with ANY relief. We don't know why...but it was exactly what happened with Adelyn. At the most intense part of labor- the DRUGS DIDN"T WORK! I was in SOOOOOO-OOOO much pain. It was INTENSE back labor. And when it came time to push- I really didn't think I could do it. I was able to get her out in 3 pushes...so it was actually pretty quick...which is a HUGE blessing- because I really didn't think I could do it anymore. The pain was so intense. I am SO very thankful that she was early and small...I could not have done it if she had been as big as Adelyn and Adric. She was face down so she wasn't coming out as smoothly as she otherwise would have. You would think with my 3rd child- and being almost 3 pounds smaller than my other 2- that the delivery would be a piece of cake- yeah- that wasn't the case. It was horrible. HOWEVER, She is here- healthy and well- and I couldn't imagine life without her. Its amazing how much you can love a little being. This is getting really long- so Ill end this now and continue later- but we had a little scare in the hospital- everything turned out fine- so, Ill go into that later. Ill post the only picture I have now- but Ill post more tomorrow along with the continued story. :) WE LOVE FARRAH! And we LOVE all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Abbie I'm so happy for you guys!!! I wish we could've been there to help you out and meet sweet Farrah. She's adorable and teeny and looks so different from her big brother and sister..and yet I can see a little of each of them in her too. We can't wait to meet her (and of course for you to meet Connor)! We're really hoping to come visit in the fall so hopefully you're still there then!!

    ReplyDelete